DrupalVM is the tested and proven quick way to setup a complete development environment for Drupal. Here is a list of steps that one can follow to get this environment up on Ubuntu 14.04.x LTS operating System. Just run "vagrant up" to setup whole environment.
Here is the quick graphical snapshot:
- Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Virtualization: VT-X setting should be enabled through the BIOS configurations
- Active internet connection
1. Installing VirtualBox on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
VirtualBox is powerful Cross-platform Virtualization Software for x86-based systems.
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian '$(lsb_release -cs)' contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list" && wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.0
2. Installing Vagrant
Vagrant is used to create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.
- Download appropriate 32bit or 64bit installation for Ubuntu.
- You can always open the download with "Ubuntu Software Update center"
- If installing through Ubuntu Software Update Center" then no command needed.
3. Install vagrant's host-updater plugin
Vagrant's Host-Updater plugin is used for making the host entries to VM and Host machine's hosts files respectively.
vagrant plugin install vagrant-hostsupdater
4. Install Curl and PHP-Cli
- Curl is an open source command line tool and library for transferring data with URL syntax, supporting various protocols.
- Php-Cli avails the usage of PHP in System Command Line.
sudo apt-get install curl php5-cli
5. Install composer
Composer is an application-level package manager for the PHP programming language that provides a standard format for managing dependencies of PHP software and required libraries.
curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | sudo php -- --install-dir=/usr/local/bin --filename=composer
In case above command doesn't work then download https://getcomposer.org/installer and execute the command from folder where it is downloaded.
sudo php installer
6. Installing NFS
NFS allows you to mount your local file systems over a network and remote hosts to interact with them as they are mounted locally on the same system.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server sudo apt-get install nfs-common
7. Install Git
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
sudo apt-get install git
8. Get DrupalVM on local machine
DrupalVM spins up a simple local Drupal test/development environment incredibly quickly and avails the wonderful world of Drupal development on local virtual machines.
git clone https://github.com/geerlingguy/drupal-vm.git
9. DrupalVM is downloaded on your local machine
cd drupal-vm cp example.config.yml config.yml cp example.drupal.make.yml drupal.make.yml
10. Setup VM